Author Topic: 2012 Olympics  (Read 341711 times)

Offline Cassiel

• Administrator
    • Email
2012 Olympics
« on: July 27, 2012, 09:31:49 PM »
I wouldn't consider myself nationalistic by any stretch of the imagine, but have to say..... the 15 min before the start of the official Olympic ceremony... well.... when Baba O'Reilly kicked in I had to choke back a tear... my beautiful city has never looked more beautiful.

Saying that though.... Danny Boyle's opening ceremony is looking SHYTE so far.

Offline PandMonium

• Administrator
Re: 2012 Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »
Didn't pay attention to the event but there are some huge achievements that i might not be able to see again.

Phelps achieved his 22 Olympic medal today. That means he now has the same number of medals that Portugal has, during the entire 100 years of participation in Olympic events. Furthermore, we (PT) only achieved 4 gold and he has 18 (double than the next highest record holder.....). Unfortunately he said this are his last games, he could increase the record even more in the next Olympics. Anyway he already achieve something near to impossible to break, is rich and wants to spend the rest of his young years having fun.

(However it is a bit stupid to compare athletes by the number of medals since it really depends on the specific even. For instance in judo each athlete can achieve only one medal per game.)

Two other interesting incidents for me are:
The gold medal by Ye Shiwen (16 years), beating the world record by almost one second and smashing her personal best by 5. She also did the last 50 meters faster than Lochte. This raised a lot of questions about doping, with a public accusation by someone from the USA.
After that we had a similar situation with an American girl (Katie Ledecky), winning gold in her first Olympic games with 15 and taking 11 seconds to her personal record in the last month.

... both cases are incredible suspicions :D

Offline FerZex

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 03:04:48 AM »
You are from Portugal ?? LOL Aqui é nós! BRASIL! BRASIL! BRASIL!

Offline PandMonium

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
Yes i am!
Bem vindo e melhor sorte para os atletas brasileiros :)

Offline FerZex

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
Parabéns PandMonium pela Medalha de Prata na Canoagem =D
Brasil nao melhorou nessas Olimpiadas comparado a Pequim =/

Offline PandMonium

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »
Obrigado! Foram uns jogos fraquinhos para Portugal mas a maior parte dos atletas não tem um grande apoio quando comparado com os concorrentes.

O Brasil ainda ganhou várias, embora tenha perdido algumas de ouro como no futebol em que esperava mais e na final de voleibol por exemplo depois de estar com enorme vantagem.
Agora é preparar para o Rio 2016 :P