Author Topic: Questions about properly dumping IBM PC disk images  (Read 400 times)

Offline Ansarya

Questions about properly dumping IBM PC disk images
« on: September 04, 2021, 10:57:42 AM »
I have a whole bunch of old IBM 3.5" floppies and a smaller collection of 5.25" disks and a bunch of CDs. I have four questions:

I understand the old standard was making dumps using WinImg is this still the case and are there any non-default settings to use?

What should I use for dumping the CDs into isos? (also what settings to use with that tool)

Does anyone know where to get a USB 5.25" disk drive? (Or maybe one that uses sata or some other arrangement that works with a modern computer so I can dump these disks)

What about taking pictures of the disks to preserve the labels, is there a guide or forum explaining this and the procedures for doing so? (Also boxes and manuals)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 11:02:30 AM by Ansarya »

Offline NLS

• It's too personal.
    • NLS Blog
Re: Questions about properly dumping IBM PC disk images
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 07:30:40 PM »
1) Not sure if it makes a difference how you reach an ISO, when talking about PC disks without disk protection.

2) 5.25" drive. I suspect you can find in e-bay. As to how to connect it on a motherboard without the appropriate bus, maybe use a USB flux reader like https://github.com/keirf/Greaseweazle .

3) The manuals definitely fit the TOSEC PIX project, but not sure about the rest. Wouldn't be bad to preserved them though.
---
NLS
My Blog

Offline Ansarya

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 02:49:32 AM »
Thank you NLS!

I guess the main question remaining is do we still use WinImg to rip the 3.5" disks? Any special (ie, not default) settings?

Offline Ansarya

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 04:40:10 AM »
Seriously, what software/procedures do I use to dump floppy disks and CDs and what options do I use?

And where do I submit the dat changes and where do I upload the disk images themselves?

I have a couple of boxes of floppys and a couple of boxes of cds (and a bunch of dvds, although I'm not sure TOSEC collects those yet)

MOSTLY THOUGH: what software with what options for "IBM/PC Compatible" floppy disks?

EDIT: If you have a working 5.25" disk ripping setup I'd like to hear what you have, although I only have a few of them. (most 5.25" drives on eBay have a "not guaranteed to work, no money back" clause and are expensive and I don't want to pay a bunch for false hope and garbage)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 04:45:33 AM by Ansarya »

Offline NLS

• It's too personal.
    • NLS Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2021, 07:21:17 PM »
I rip using Greaseweazle. Works with 3.5" drives and 5.25" drives. There is software to flux read the disks and then export to popular image formats.
---
NLS
My Blog

Offline mictlantecuhtle

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »
Not my area of expertise but I asked in the Video Game Preservation Collective discord and the general feeling is that any flux dumper (Greaseweazle, Supercard, Kryoflux, Pauline) should work fine for PC floppies.

In terms of CDs/DVDs, Redump is probably a better fit for game stuff, although they do have certain hardware requirements of their own in terms of type of drive used to dump CDs. If you're not able to dump to those standards I think we can still catalogue them as long as the dumps are working.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 09:44:40 PM by mictlantecuhtle »

Offline Ansarya

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 12:38:32 AM »
Thanks guys! I'll get on it this weekend.