Author Topic: Atari 8-bit & 5200 datfiles errors  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Daipop

Atari 8-bit & 5200 datfiles errors
« on: May 10, 2011, 07:47:15 PM »
Hi people, just to make an appointment about some name convention problems I've seen in the Atari 8bit and Atari 5200 datfiles, specifically "Atari 8bit - Applications - [ROM] (TOSEC-v2010-08-15_CM)" and "Atari 5200 - Games (TOSEC-v2009-10-07_CM)".

First of all, the Atari 8bit datfile has 5 entries for the BASIC IDE on that plataform as follows:

"BASIC - Revision A (1979)(Atari)(US)(400-800)"
"BASIC Revision B (19xx)(Atari)[XL]"
"BASIC Revision C (19xx)(Atari)[XL-XE]"
"Basic XE v4.1 (1985)(OSS)(US)"
"Basic XL v1.03 (1983)(OSS)(US)"

The first problem I see is the "-" after the word BASIC of the first entry, this one has it meanwhile the other entries don't, and I don't know what is the correct naming convention for this, in the other hand, BASIC is an acronym for "Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code" and for that reason must be on capitals, wich obviously the last two entries lacks of it.

In the other hand, the datfile for the Atari 5200 games has two entries with the (PD) indicator, to say:

"Jum's Pong (2000)(Jum)(PD)"
"Koffi - Yellow Kopter (demo) (2002)(Lloyd, Ron)(PD)"

To my knowledge, (PD) means "Public Domain" under the GoodTools naming convention and I don't know if TOSEC uses the same (PD) convention or even if this non retail, commercial, official games are supposed to be there, if that the case, the datfile is lacking a lot more of Homebrew programs wich are not included in the datfile, or if these two entries must be eliminated.

I hope this helps in your endless work and if I see other details I´ll make you know, greetings.

Offline TKaos

• Global Moderator
Re: Atari 8-bit & 5200 datfiles errors
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
Hi there,
I didn't really touch those BASIC files yet, it's still on my to-do list to move them into a new Firmware DAT and of course change their naming.

About Atari 5200, the games DAT can hold public domain software as well as commercial software, at the moment we only split commercial & public domain on huge DATs for example Amiga and I think soon C64 too.

Offline Daipop

Re: Atari 8-bit & 5200 datfiles errors
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 03:33:25 AM »
Nice to ear that, you guys are making a great work, I pointed this thinking that it was a typo or other kind of mistake wich sliped to you, but now I realize that there's a lot of work ahead that waits to be done and that can't be done from one day to other.

I really apreciate your effort, It will be done when It's done, take your time and if I see some other details I'll make know.

Greetings.