Author Topic: A Fixed Version of Three Mile Island Special Version (1980) for the Apple 2  (Read 1651 times)

Offline load81

I remember playing Three Mile Island on the Apple 2 as a kid. I went digging for the disk, and found that all known dumps of the disk had issues. It turns out that the original game was written for Apple DOS 3.1, but the dump was on an Apple DOS 3.3 disk. The disk format isn't backwards compatible, so attempts to save the game would crash the program. It looks like someone else encountered the same issue and released a fixed version of the game.

There is a detailed article on Hackaday.

Can this be added to the TOSEC database? I think an entry like this would be appropriate:

Code: [Select]
desc: Three Mile Island Special Version (1980)(Richard Orban)[f][apple dos 3.3]
rom: Three Mile Island Special Version (1980)(Richard Orban)[f][apple dos 3.3].dsk
size: 143360
crc: 219460168
md5: ae8c6c2fe05d22b8d4519a1c17eb0085
sha1: 7f274824e58320b984d0af0653aa831e2f0b156d

I am also curious if anyone has eyes on the original 1979 version of the game, it was written in BASIC, whereas the Special Version was a re-write in Assembly language. Does anyone have a copy of the BASIC version for inclusion?

Also, does this mean that the existing entries should be marked as [b incompatible dos] as well?

Offline mictlantecuhtle

• Global Moderator
Thanks for this, as luck would have it I'm currently working my way through the Apple II dats and trying to do cleanup and proper identification of a lot of titles, so this is really welcome.

I've grabbed the fixed disk image from the original blog post and it will be entered into the next update as
Code: [Select]
Three Mile Island Special Edition (1980)(MUSE Software)[f Jorj Bauer DOS 3.3]
The CRC/SHA etc. entries you give below are different to mine, are these from a clean copy of the disk as downloaded? I have the CRC of the disk image as 0FF8AEF3.

Out of interest, the 4am crack of the game available on the Internet Archive appears to be from a copy of the original disk, not one which has been transferred to a DOS 3.3 volume, as it seems possible to save to the disk without any issue. It seems to be the special version as well though, not the original.

I'll check the database for existing versions and make sure these are updated as needed.

Offline load81

The CRC/SHA etc. entries you give below are different to mine...

Most likely I fat-fingered something. 0:)  Presumably, your values are correct.

Offline mictlantecuhtle

• Global Moderator
The CRC/SHA etc. entries you give below are different to mine...

Most likely I fat-fingered something. 0:)  Presumably, your values are correct.

Been there done that :). Really appreciate the help, always happy for any assistance to clear up or add info to the database.